Monday 24 November 2014

The Inspiration Series: No.1


Over the past few weeks I've found myself in a bit of a rut. It's one of those things that inevitably occurs at various points in life. Though not exclusive to being young, it seems that there is an added uncertainty to being in your 20s. In an attempt to figure out the visualisation we hold for our futures we often find ourselves at a loss. Not only is there the question of what you want to do with your life, there is the added pressure of attempting to figure out who you are and how you fit into the larger space of the world. This is something that has always baffled me, as I'm sure it does many others. It occurred to me in the past couple of years that the logic behind figuring out who you are is flawed, for are you not already yourself? 

So then when you reach a crossroads (or in fact a standstill) in your life, uncertain of what the next logical progression should be, it sometimes takes a nudge to find the motivation to continue. Out of that feeling of loss in my own life, The Inspiration Series is born. The intention is to write a weekly piece on something that has inspired me. At those points where I am unsure of where my life may take me, I always manage to find solace in the successes and creativity of the people I come into contact with. The idea is to create a collection of stories to convince not only myself, but hopefully somebody reading this, that there is a world of possibilities out there to explore. 

The first of these comes from this weekend, and a visit I made to the open studios at St James Yard in Bermondsey (South London). The freedom that appears to come with being an artist attracts me to the profession. Not being limited by your trade or discipline, but instead transcending many alternate crafts and lines of work. Having an artist for a mother I am aware that this is a romanticised way of looking at the art world. The kind of struggles that exist within it are as present as in any field, if not more so. Still, St James Yard is an indication of the level of diversity that can exist in a creative space. Work extends from sculpture, printmaking and drawing, all the way to woodwork. When you first approach the accumulation of open doors you are met with the exceptionally hand crafted boats, built by Arthur De Mowbray. Instantly sparking curiosity, a subsequent trip around the corridors leads to a further array of treasures. I'm inspired then by the knowledge that you are never restricted in creation. Even if external factors interfere, nothing can prevent your imagination from flowing. Though one might inevitably experience lulls, upon taking a step out into the world it is possible to find hubs of individuality to encourage you to keep moving forward. 

For more information on the artists at St James Yard visit http://330studios.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment